Math & Science Center Professional Tutor-Nursing (Part-time)
Department: Math & Science Center
Locations: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posted: Apr 6, 2023
Closes: Open Until Filled
Position ID: 160842
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley, just 90-minutes north of New York City, Dutchess Community College is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. Recently honored among Campus Pride's Top 8 Community Colleges Leading the Way for LGBTQ Inclusion, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity, and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from faculty and staff who share and are anxious to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging with both students and the community.
The Math & Science Center (MASC) provides hybrid tutoring (in-person and remote) from its two locations on the Poughkeepsie and Fishkill campuses. MASC Professional Tutors – Nursing provides comprehensive tutoring to individuals and small groups in person at the Poughkeepsie campus location throughout the academic year for nursing students.
The primary responsibilities of the MASC Professional Tutor – Nursing is to clarify and reinforce course content, assignments, and material for nursing courses. In addition, the MASC Professional Tutor – Nursing provides guidance with competency skills within the Nursing Open Lab environment.
The MASC Professional Tutor – Nursing will be responsible for ensuring that students receive guidance during the semester regarding all academic support available to provide any needed intervention. The MASC Professional Tutor – Nursing will advocate for student educational achievement to the highest attainable standard, support student goals, and uphold the college's educational mission. The MASC Professional Tutor – Nursing discusses with the students their behaviors and habits that contribute to student success. These include goal setting, learning strategies, time management, organization, self-direction, and self-efficacy. All the MASC Professional Tutors – Nursing must demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills.
Under the supervision of the Director of the Math and Science Center, the MASC Professional Tutors – Nursing will:
• Communicate frequently with the nursing faculty on content assignment expectations.
Work collaboratively with nursing faculty.
• Participate in the programming activities at the MASC.
• Assist with the completion of data specific to Perkins reporting for the Academic, Career, and Transfer Center.
• Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements.
• Participate in, and assist with, facilitating workshops.
• Continue professional development through MASC offered workshops and trainings to remain current with relevant tutoring practices.
•Recognize and respect students' diverse backgrounds and possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
•Manage technology needed to support tutoring programs, including but not limited to Banner, Kronos, Tutor Trac, Bookings, Starfish and Docucare.
• Maintain consistent tutoring practices and build relationships with students.
• Utilize Starfish to assist with student management, including providing student outreach.
• Participate in prospective student and first year programs including orientations and recruitment initiatives.
• Additional duties as assigned by the Director of the Math and Science Center.
• At least 2 years of related experience in a college setting, especially in nursing for delivery of academic support services.
• Ability to teach learning strategies to students
• Ability to lead small group tutoring sessions.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Concern for student needs in a demanding academic context, flexibility, patience, and professional integrity.
• Knowledge, experience, and ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
• Minimum Qualification: AAS degree in nursing and RN license
BSN or MSN is preferred.
• Nursing knowledge required. Clinical practice experience preferred.
• Handle nursing lab equipment with care, switch off equipment and tidy up lab after tutoring session.
• Use suggested textbooks for reference in lecture and lab content (skills)
• Ability to work 9am-3pm or 12-6pm shifts with some evenings and Saturday mornings. Schedule is subject to change each semester.
Nursing Department Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience working with students in a community college environment.
• Experience working with ESL (English as Second Language) students is highly desirable in a candidate.
Academic support positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between Dutchess Community College and Dutchess United Educators (DUE) Pay Scale: $25.76 – $30.24
Employment will require a criminal background screening.
DCC is an AA/EOE employer. Dutchess Community College (College) as part of The State University of New York, in its continuing effort to seek equity in education and employment, and in support of federal and state anti-discrimination legislation, has adopted a policy to provide an educational and employment environment free from unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction
To apply visit: https://sunydutchess.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=160842
Dutchess Community College is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
About Dutchess Community College (SUNY)
About Dutchess Community College:
Located in the heart of New York's beautiful and historic mid-Hudson Valley just 90 minutes north of New York City, Dutchess Community College (DCC) is part of the State University of New York, the largest comprehensive public higher education system in the country. Recently honored among Campus Pride's Top 8 Community Colleges Leading the Way for LGBTQ Inclusion, DCC is dedicated to respecting individuality, embracing diversity and partnering with the community to achieve shared goals. The College welcomes applications from all qualified individuals who share and are eager to support the institution's values of Excellence, Access, Diversity, Collaboration and Accountability, and who are passionate about engaging both students and the community.