Visiting Instructor/Assistant Professor, Nursing
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Visiting Instructor/Assistant Professor, Nursing.
118 College Drive
Hattiesburg, Mississippi, 39406-0001
Professional Nursing Practice
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, 9-month visiting instructor/assistant professor position for the 2022-2023 academic year in the College of Nursing and Health Professions, School of Professional Nursing Practice. Qualified applicants with practice experience in a specialty area of nursing (including, but not limited to, adult health nursing, pediatric nursing) are encouraged to apply.
Faculty facilitate students' achievement of course objectives and prepares students to master skill sets
that facilitate progression throughout the nursing
program of study. Faculty work closely with the course clinical coordinator and program coordinator to ensure that the standards and quality of the nursing curricula are met
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and teach courses assigned and adhere to clinical and class schedules
- Communicate any concerns or issues with the course coordinator, program coordinator or school director
- Follow the policies and procedures of the clinical site, the University, the College of Nursing and Health Professions, and the School of Professional Nursing Practice
- Submit course specific documentation as scheduled
- Communicate course requirements to students
- Maintain office hours to assure availability to assigned students for support including but not limited to exam review, required remediation, and summative evaluations.
- Collaborate with the course coordinator to plan, implement and evaluate each assigned course to maintain quality and effectiveness.
- Attend scheduled meetings prior to the course orientation with the school director and/or program coordinator and/or course coordinator and other faculty teaching in the course.
- Participate in service opportunities that impact the university community, professional community, and/or local community
- Participate in the shared governance of the University, college, and school through various opportunities for engagement on campus
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The visiting faculty member is
expected to be a competent practitioner of Nursing
- Graduate degree in Nursing is required
- Current unencumbered Mississippi RN license is required
- Criminal history and background check clearance is required
- Salary and appointment to Visiting Assistant Professor will be commensurate with qualifications and experience appropriate for that rank.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Evidence of current American Heart Association CPR training
- Evidence of yearly tuberculin skin tests and other required immunizations as per nursing program policy and/or agency requirements.
- Evidence of ten continuing education units annually
- Be familiar and comply with clinical agency policies and procedures. Complete all required clinical agency training including; but, not limited to electronic health records, HIPAA, medication administration, POC Glucose training and an agency orientation.
- Uphold the mission and values of the USM College of Nursing and Health Professions.
At least 1-year
experience teaching. PhD in Nursing preferred. Doctoral degree in Nursing or closely related area will be considered.
Direct and/or indirect clinical supervision of students enrolled in nursing programs required
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities – Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.