D’Youville’s Patricia H. Garman School of Nursing is seeking an outstanding candidate to join our faculty in a tenure-earning position at the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank to provide leadership in the areas of teaching, service and scholarly activity. Candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Faculty rank will be commensurate with education and qualifications.
Faculty members in the Patricia H. Garman (PHG SON) School of Nursing are responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs in a shared governance setting. Their responsibilities include teaching, service, and scholarship. Teaching includes a variety of active teaching and learning strategies directed at meeting student individual learning styles and includes but is not limited to lecture, lab/clinical teaching, on-line and hybrid instruction. D’Youville ascribes to the Boyer model of scholarship, including the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application, implementation, and engagement. Faculty engage in a variety of service activities to support the D’Youville and its School of Nursing, the profession, and the community. Regular activities include holding office hours, attending meetings of teams in the School of Nursing as well as college-wide teams, mentoring students, serving on departmental and college committees, and engagement in college and community service opportunities.
• Applicants must hold an earned doctorate in nursing or a closely related field from an institutionally accredited college or university.
• Master’s degree in nursing from a nationally accredited nursing program.
• Certification through the American Nurses Credentialing Center or the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as a Family Nurse Practitioner
• Unencumbered license to practice as a family nurse practitioner in New York, or licensure in another state in the US with eligibility for licensure in New York.
• Demonstrated advanced practice experience is required for appointment to either the undergraduate or graduate programs.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Clinical experience as a Family Nurse Practitioner sufficient to demonstrate proficiency (e.g. 2-3 years)
• Five years of academic experience in nursing in the higher education setting, with a record of teaching, service, and research are required to warrant appointment at the Associate Professor level.
Distinguished Features of the Applicant (knowledge, skills & abilities)
• Demonstrate a beginning level (Assistant Professor) of an active and visible practice of scholarly and creative research, with a strong level of scholarship to support appointment at the rank of Associate Professor
• Participate in scholarly activities that contribute to the nursing and academic disciplines
• Engage in professional development activities to maintain currency in nursing practice
• Creating an inclusive learning climate for students of diverse backgrounds
• Be focused on student success
• Possess academic and experiential expertise in an area of the discipline of Nursing with an emphasis on engaging and innovative pedagogy
• Be student-centric and service-minded
• Ability to work collaboratively in teams
• Provide effective classroom, instruction in courses required by a diverse student population and in multiple degree programs
• Contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of School of Nursing academic programs
• Assist with accreditation activities
• Serve as an active member and in leadership positions for School of Nursing and D’Youville Standing Committees with regular, predictable attendance at meetings as scheduled
Application Materials Required
Candidates should submit:
• An engaging letter of interest in which they describe their interest in the position and demonstrate alignment of education and experiences with the qualifications for the position (either the Assistant or Association Professor rank)
• A current curriculum vitae including education, experience, publications, presentations, licensure, and certification (as applicable).
• Candidates selected for interview must provide contact information for five professional references, including name, email, and telephone number with a note to describe their professional relationship with this individual.
About the Institution
D’Youville is a highly regarded private university and research institution with a rich history located on the vibrant West Side of Buffalo adjacent to a growing downtown with year-round cultural events and outdoor recreation. While preparing students for the 21st-century, D’Youville excels at helping students reach their career goals as change agents, doing well for themselves and their communities by doing good. Under the leadership of President Lorrie Clemo, the university is moving boldly forward through a dynamic and integrated planning process to strengthen the institution and positively impact the student experience and surrounding community.
Founded in 1908, the Grey Nuns named the college after the Patron Saint Marguerite D’Youville and committed to making it a compassionate place of learning for those from underrepresented populations. That commitment and tradition continue today. D’Youville was the first college in Western New York to offer baccalaureate degree programs for women. With a long Catholic history, D’Youville welcomes students of every culture, background, and faith and is a place where different faith traditions can be openly shared and respected. Coeducational since 1971, D’Youville strives to expand opportunities for diverse learners, including adults, first-generation, low-income, and other students historically underrepresented in higher education.
Today, D’Youville features an urban, growing campus community of 3,000 students and offers more than 50 majors in undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral studies including advanced certificates and accelerated learning programs. Featuring degrees in healthcare, business, and the liberal arts, D’Youville encourages students to balance their learning with activities that integrate community service with coursework. D’Youville’s proud graduates have the academic strengths necessary for careers that make a difference and the skills to be leaders for the world. To learn more about D’Youville, please visit
About D'Youville College
About D’Youville College
Founded in 1908, D’Youville College is an MSCHE-accredited, independent Catholic college located in the city of Buffalo, New York. D’Youville offers its 3,000 students preeminent education in undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs in allied health professions, education, business, and liberal arts.
D’Youville’s success is built on the commitment that our students learn how to think critically, work with others, be leaders, and communicate effectively – all skills employers look for in the people they hire. D’Youville is an exceptionally collegial and exciting place to work and learn. Its motivating plan for the future and expanded outreach to the region, state, nation and global community provide wonderful opportunities.
D’Youville is situated in the Prospect Park/Lower West Side neighborhood, one of Buffalo’s most diverse and historic neighborhoods with fine examples of residential architecture from the last hundred years. The city is in the midst of a remarkable transformation, including a redeveloped waterfront and revitalized neighborhoods. Buffalo is home to several Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, Frederick Law Olmstead parks, and of course, the chicken wing!
Join us, and be a part of Buffalo’s renaissance.
When inquiring or applying for positions at D’Youville College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and professional and administrative staff employment opportunities at D’Youville College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at D’Youville College are posted, job seekers can sign up at new job openings at D’Youville College.