Nursing, Clinical-Community Health/Medical/Surgical – Associate Instructor
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Associate (Part-time)
Job Number: 2023-01654
Closing: 5/24/2024 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Aptos, CA
Cabrillo College is accepting applications in order to fill temporary, part-time faculty assignment(s) and to establish an eligibility pool for positions that may become available in 2023 Fall and/or 2024 Spring Semesters:
- N-32 Nursing Fundamentals III
- Applies the Neuman Systems Model and the nursing process and extends the knowledge base needed to provide moderately complex nursing care to patients and families with acute and chronic health problems in geriatric, medical-surgical, and community settings.
This associate position is open for application submission through the deadline date as noted above OR until the position has been filled.
We need YOU! Cabrillo College is looking for Faculty to provide quality programs and services for a diverse student population promoting ever-evolving needs as our students grow toward their individual aspirational goals. Cabrillo is an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) with a special focus on enhancing the Latinx student experience. Come join our team, valuing high-level and innovative instruction, support services, a welcoming environment, and helping to change the world one student at a time!
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,500+ students per term, including Latina/o/x (46.82%), Multi-Ethnic (5.14%), Asian (2.53%), African American (1.08%), Filipino (0.79%), American Indian or Alaskan Native (0.30%), and Pacific Islander (0.16%) as of Fall 2021. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
About the College: Situated on Monterey Bay in the county of Santa Cruz, California, Cabrillo College is highly regarded for its success of transfer and career education, and currently serves over 11,400 students each semester. Cabrillo College transfers many of its students to three nearby universities – the University of California at Santa Cruz, San Jose State University, and California State University at Monterey Bay. Cabrillo's career education is closely connected to the nearby agricultural and farming industries as well as the Silicon Valley business environment.
Faculty at Cabrillo College actively participate in curriculum development, program planning, and serve on participatory governance committees. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its diverse student body and community.
Examples of Duties
- Teach assigned classes, which may include evening or off-campus assignments
- Participate in participatory governance committees, processes, and initiatives such as Guided Pathways
- Maintain timely and accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and academic progress
- Provide academic assistance and related services to students during scheduled office hours
- Cooperate with and participate as may be required in District investigations and/or student grievance matters of alleged unlawful harassment, discrimination, and retaliation
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff
- Complete required District trainings such as Title IX, Mandated Reporter, EEO/Diversity/Elimination of Bias, Workplace Safety, etc.
Required Education from a U.S. Department of Education recognized accredited organization and Required Discipline Specific Requirements/Licensure:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation, of community college students, faculty and staff AND
- Bachelor's degree which shall include courses in nursing, or in natural, behavioral or social sciences relevant to nursing practice AND direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing areas of geriatric, medical-surgical, and/or community settings, which can be met by:
- One (1) year's continuous, full-time, or its equivalent, experience providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in geriatric, medical-surgical, and/or community settings OR
- One (1) academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in geriatric, medical-surgical, and/or community settings, or its equivalent that demonstrates clinical competency OR
- *Equivalent AND
- Current California Registered Nurse (RN) License
- Applicants with a Registered Nurse (RN) License outside the state of California are encouraged to apply, with the understanding that if chosen for hire the applicant must acquire an unrestricted California Registered Nurse (RN) license prior to beginning employment on Monday, January 23, 2023 AND
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
Required Professional Expertise:
- Currency and depth of knowledge in the applicable professional field
- Knowledge of and commitment to teaching strategies and practices that enhance student success at community colleges, including effective use of technology
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to teach the courses or perform the duties effectively as described above
- Demonstrated ability to communicate well with students of diverse academic, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds; gender identities, sexual orientations; and students with disabilities
- Evidence of professional activities and service beyond the primary teaching assignment
- Development and review of curriculum as well as including assessment of learning
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
- Demonstrated responsiveness to and understanding of the racial, socioeconomic, academic, and cultural diversity within the community college student population, including students with different ability statuses (e.g., physical and/or learning) as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practices in the classroom
- Demonstrated ability to reflect critically on institutional and teaching practices that aim to increase cultural responsiveness
- Knowledge and understanding of the accountability and critical dimensions of equity
- Demonstrated ability addressing issues of equity in the classroom
Desired Qualifications/Performance Expectations:
- Successful teaching experience at the community college level
- Demonstrated ability to employ innovative teaching techniques and methodologies
- Experience teaching diverse student populations
- Successful online teaching experience
- Knowledge of culturally-responsive pedagogical teaching techniques and effective ways for engaging students who are historically under-represented and under-served.
Why would I complete the Equivalency Form when I'm already completing an application and have a relevant degree? To determine whether your current education, or exact discipline, and/or experience is "equivalent," you must submit an Equivalency Form to initiate a review by the Equivalency Committee at Cabrillo College and so that your application can move forward and be considered by the search committee.
Please note the Equivalency Committee will consider only those applicants who formally request equivalency consideration by submitting the Completed Equivalency Form with their application by the closing date stated in the job announcement. Be sure to attach detailed evidence such as unofficial transcripts and/or other certifications that support the equivalency.
For additional information please review our Applicant FAQ's.
Starting Salary: $1,599 – $2,454 per teaching unit, per semester; salary placement determined by documented education and experience; maximum initial salary step placement on the Associate faculty salary schedule is step 9. An annual doctoral stipend of $107 per unit is granted to eligible associate faculty. Assignments may be at various campus locations; days, evenings, and/or weekends; hours to be arranged.
- Complete the application & supplemental questions providing detailed information to aid in determining the minimum qualification requirements have been met
- Include your direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the nursing areas of geriatric, medical-surgical, and/or community settings in the Work Experience section of your application
- Include your current California Registered Nurse (RN) License information in the Certificates and Licenses section of your application
- Include your current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification information in the Certificates and Licenses section of your application
- Attach a professional resume or CV detailing teaching and work experience
- Attach one of the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended displaying any degrees conferred (copies, photos, and downloads are acceptable). Foreign transcripts must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency and any costs are at the applicant's expense – click here for more information OR
- Equivalency Form – click here (optional) Submit this form with supporting materials if you do not possess the minimum qualifications as listed in the job announcement and feel you have the equivalent education and/or experience.
Only completed applications with the above required documents will be reviewed by the committee; additional documents will not be reviewed by the committee. Remove personally identifiable information such as personal photos, social security number, birth date, age, and gender from your application materials. Expenses related to the recruitment process are the responsibility of the applicant. Cabrillo is unable to sponsor work visas. Questions? Concerns? Please contact HR as Departments, Divisions, and Committee Members are unable to discuss active recruitments with potential candidates.
This associate position is open through the deadline date as noted above OR until the position has been filled. A search committee will review application materials and invite applicants for an interview. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an interview.
Conditions of Employment
Selected candidates given a conditional offer of employment are required to submit tuberculosis screening clearance results, official transcripts, proof of eligibility to work in the United States, and present their Social Security card upon hire (for payroll purposes).
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of qualified applicants. The policy of the College is to encourage applications from all persons. No person shall be denied employment because of ethnicity or race, color, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, medical conditions, status or protected veteran status.
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
About Cabrillo College
Cabrillo College empowers students to be effective communicators, critical thinkers, and responsible world citizens. With a commitment to quality and equity, we connect all learners to pathways that propel them from where they are to where they aspire to be, including: academic, personal, and career growth.
Cabrillo College improves the world, one student at a time.
Jobs at Cabrillo College.
When inquiring or applying for positions at Cabrillo College, please also reference AcademicCareers.com
Applicants with dual-career considerations can find university jobs such as professor jobs, dean jobs, chair / department head jobs, and other faculty jobs and employment opportunities at Cabrillo College and at other institutions of higher education in the region on www.AcademicCareers.com
To receive email alerts when new jobs at Cabrillo College are posted, please sign up at new job openings at Cabrillo College.